Crystal Healing is a form of energy healing and the chakras have a significant role to play in terms of energy and our health and well-being. If you have ever been for a Crystal Healing session you will know that as a general rule your therapist works with crystals on your 7 main chakras. We’re told that this is to cleanse, balance and activate them. But what does this actually mean?
Let’s break this down and learn a crucial element of energy healing as we journey to becoming crystal experts.
What are the Chakras?
Chakras are energy centres that lie within the aura. The word ‘chakrum’ is Sanskrit and means ‘wheel’. Each chakra spins and looks like a spinning wheel, very much like a Catherine Wheel. However, a side view of a chakra would show that it is actually conical with the smallest part of the cone being nearest to the physical body.
There are 7 major chakras within the kundalini energy system and 21 minor chakras although there are thousands of lesser chakras throughout the body. The 3 lower chakras are the Earth chakras, the 3 upper chakras are the Spiritual chakras. The Heart Chakra is the crucible.
The 7 Main Chakras
Over the coming week we will explore each chakra individually but for the purposes of this article, let’s look at some basic information on each one.
Located at the base of the spine / Tailbone
Fight or flight, survival instincts, birthrights, roots, groundedness
Located mid-way between the pubis and the naval
Creativity, sexuality, family
Solar Plexus Chakra
Located at the base of the Sternum
Seat of the ego, fear, intuition
Located in the middle of the chest
Located at the bottom of the neck
Communication and self-expression
3rd Eye Chakra
Located in the middle of the forehead, above the bridge of the nose
Clairvoyance, mental reasoning
Located at the top of the head
The Function of the Chakras
The function of the chakras is to permit the interchange of internal and external energies. Each chakra vibrates at a specific rate, becoming faster the higher up they are located within the physical body.
When the chakras are vibrating at that specific rate there will be balance and harmony within, and equilibrium throughout, the physical body. However, the chakras are influenced by our thoughts and emotions and the vibratory rate can very easily be affected. This causes them to spin either too fast or too slowly. When this happens they are said to be ‘out of balance’ or ‘unbalanced’.
Each chakra is related to specific organs and glands of the body, so when the chakra is unbalanced, the amount of energy flowing to the area it governs will be incorrect and the related organ(s) and/or gland will be adversely affected. This results in disorder. The outcome or symptom a person experiences will depend on whether the chakra is spinning too fast or too slow.
Many correspondences have been given to the chakras i.e. colours, layers of the aura, elements, days of the week and so on. One of the most important factors attributed to the chakras is an aspect of life/life style. This aspect is very useful in helping us heal with crystals.
What does it mean to Cleanse the Chakras?
To cleanse your chakras is simply to rid them of any lower or negative energy that they may be storing. It is this energy that causes them to be ‘out of balance’ and to cause dis-ease within the body.
The most effective way in which to cleanse your chakras is to use clear quartz on them. This crystal works amazingly well at removing any energy that is not the chakras own and it leaves your chakras in a beautiful ‘clean’ and harmonious state of being.
Clear quartz should be used on each of your chakras to cleanse them. Below I will guide you through a self-healing chakra treatment using clear quartz and coloured crystals.
What does it mean to Balance the Chakras?
Once you have cleansed your chakras of any energy that is not inherently theirs, you will want to balance them. This means that you assist them in returning to their optimal rate.
Ordinarily the use of clear quartz on our chakras both cleanses and balances them. However, if you are uncertain or simply want to check, you can use a pendulum to provide you with a Yes / No answer.
If you need more information on how to use a pendulum you can watch my video here.
What does it mean to Activate the Chakras?
Activating the chakras is probably what people are most familiar with. It is this step that is often mistakenly thought of as cleansing and balancing the chakras. To activate a chakra we place a coloured crystal on it and leave for at least 10 minutes. I like to think of activating a chakra as super-charging it. It’s already cleansed and balanced so we’re now going to give it some extra healing energy. It is this step that allows us to use specific crystals for specific ailments (but only when the chakra is cleansed and balanced beforehand).
For example, if I were having fertility issues, then I would choose a crystal such as Jade and place it on my Sacral Chakra to help address my concerns.
Don’t worry if this all sounds a little overwhelming and that there’s too much to learn. Each week we will look at an individual chakra, learn about what ailments it relates to and which crystals can help to balance and activate that chakra.
A Self-Healing Technique to Cleanse, Balance & Activate your Chakras
For this routine you will need:
- 7 clear quartz crystals, 1 for each chakra
- 7 coloured crystals of your choosing, 1 for each chakra
- 20 minutes of undisturbed time and somewhere comfortable to lay down
- 1 piece of hematite to use for grounding purposes after the treatment is complete.
Optional Crystals for this routine:
Although by no means essential, to get the most out of this self healing routine I would recommend that you add 3 clear quartz Points and 1 small clear quartz Cluster into the routine. If you have read my article on A Self Healing Routine with Clear Quartz, you’ll be aware why this is an important crystal healing technique to cleanse your aura. If you do have these crystals please place the crystals in the following positions:
- A clear quartz point facing down towards the top of the head
- In your left hand hold a point facing upwards and slightly pointing towards your wrist.
- Between, but below, your feet place a small quartz cluster
- In your right hand hold a point facing down towards your feet and your fingers.
- With you crystals close to you, lay down somewhere where you’ll be comfortable and undisturbed for at least 20 minutes.
- If you are using clear quartz points and a cluster put them into position now.
- Clear and focus your mind. Ground your energies and ask for Archangel Michael (or your preferred guide or protection method) to offer you energetic protection throughout your treatment.
- If you work with guides from the Higher Realms you can ask them to gather close and offer you insights throughout this treatment that are for your highest good.
- Set your Intention: A crucial aspect of crystal healing is to always set your intention before beginning your work. In this situation we want to set our intention that our chakras will be cleansed, balanced and activated by using our crystals during this self-healing treatment.
- Place your clear quartz crystals on each of your 7 main chakras. Relax and leave these crystals in place for at least 10 minutes. Take note of any thoughts, feelings, images or messages that you receive during this time.
- When you feel the time is right, carefully remove your clear quartz chakra crystals and replace them with your coloured crystals. Again leave these in place for at least 10 minutes and take note of your experiences.
- After your 10 minutes is complete remove your coloured crystals and your points and cluster if you have been using them. If you are using a pendulum you should use it before you remove each of the coloured crystals. Place one hand over each chakra and hold your pendulum with the other. Ask the pendulum ‘is this chakra balanced, cleansed and activated?’ If the pendulum says no work with it to determine which part of the treatment needs more time (i.e. cleansing, balancing or activating).
- Lay for as long as you need to. Do not hurry to get up and if you feel ungrounded then hold a piece of hematite in your hand for 5 minutes to help ground your energy.
- Give thanks to your guides and to the crystals for their help during this treatment.
- Consider the messages that you may have received throughout this treatment and think about how you can use this information to make changes in your life where appropriate. Do not be concerned if you did not receive any specific information; your chakras will still have been cleansed, balanced and activated.
- Cleanse your crystals after you have completed the treatment so they are ready for you to use next week.
What I’d like you to do next…
I’d like you to carry out this routine and see how you find it. I have to be honest with you from the start by letting you know that you need to be consistent with the practice of this routine.
There is no doubt that this routine will balance your chakras but in the beginning they will easily become unbalanced as they are affected by our thoughts and emotions.
In view of this I recommend that you carry out this routine at least once a week for the best results. This will lead to them becoming less unbalanced over time.
Crystal healing is a complementary therapy and is not a substitute for appropriate medical care. Always seek medical advice when and where appropriate.