Crystals and the Base Chakra
This is the second instalment of our Journey through the Chakras mini-course. Today we are looking at Crystals for the Base Chakra.
The Sanskrit name for the Base Chakra is Muladhara. ‘Mula’ means root or source and ‘Adhara’ means support or vital part. This provides you with insight into the main function of this chakra. The Base Chakra is all about our foundation, our survival instincts and how supported we feel.
The Base Chakra is also known as the Root Chakra or the Earth Chakra (not to be confused with the Earth Star Chakra which we’ll discuss later in this course); the names are used interchangeably but they all refer to the same chakra.
The Colour of the 3rd Dimension Base Chakra
Later on in this course we will look at each of the 7 main chakras from a 4th & 5th dimension point of view. However, for the moment we are purely focusing upon the Base Chakra as it spins in the 3rd Dimension.
The colour that we associate with this chakra at a 3rd Dimensional level is red or brown. This gives you an indication of the colour of the crystals that we may be working with on this chakra.
What this Chakra is Associated with
The Base Chakra has a direct connection to a number of different life aspects. In summary these are:
- Physical Energy
- Physical Health
- Physical Fitness
- Being grounded
This chakra is also associated with the Adrenal Gland.
If you look at the list above and recognise that you have issues, concerns or challenges in any of these areas, then working with your Base Chakra is an excellent idea. Please note that you do not have to have issues with all of the above; even one aspect that causes you concern is indication that this chakra needs a little tender loving care.
The Base Chakra is also the energetic gateway between us and the earth and contains the energy of childhood and the past. Therefore if you have any issues directly related to your childhood or events in your past that you have not worked through, work with this chakra will be beneficial to your overall health and wellbeing.
Another crucial element when it comes to healing the Base Chakra and therefore improving your health and wellbeing, is to know which organs of the body are related to this chakra.
In summary, the organs directly related are:
- Nervous System
- Male Reproductive System
If you have disease related to or concerns with any of these organs then this is an indication that you should work with crystals on your Base Chakra.
The Characteristics of a Person with a Balanced Base Chakra
Before we talk about character traits that are present when a person’s Base Chakra is unbalanced, let’s look at what a person with a balanced Base Chakra looks like.
People with a balanced Base Chakra tend to be:
- Filled with physical energy
- Have the ability to trust
Characteristics of an Unbalanced Base Chakra
If the chakra is not balanced the symptoms/ characteristics that a person may present will differ depending on whether the chakra has too much energy or too little energy within it.
Broken down the characteristics are as following:
Excess of Energy:
- Addicted to wealth
- Indiscriminate sexual energy
- Lack of confidence
- Weak (physically and a perception by self and possibly others)
- Non-achiever (self perception which may manifest physically)
- Up in the air
- Feel unlovable
- Fear of rejection
- Little interest in sex
Regardless of whether you have too much or too little energy within the chakra, the treatment remains the same. If you need a reminder on how to carryout a self-healing chakra treatment you can read all about it here.
Crystals for the Base Chakra
So now we know a lot more about the Base Chakra and what ailments and symptoms it can treat, how do we know which crystals we should use?
There are a few ways we can work this out.
- Choose a red, brown or black crystal. Be guided by your intuition on the actual choice or do a little research with books or a trusted online source.
- Use your intuition to choose your crystals irrespective of the colour. Choose the one that feels right to you.
- Choose one of the coloured crystals in the list below as these are general crystals for working on the base chakra.
As a general rule the following crystals can be used on the Base Chakra:
- Smokey Quartz
- Black Obsidian
- Red Jasper
- Red Tiger’s Eye,
Where to Position your Crystal in a Self-Healing Treatment
Last week we learnt how to carry out a self-healing chakra treatment which we could do in the comfort of our own homes. In regard to where you would place your Base Chakra crystals that would be at the perineum, the base of the spine. This means that when you are lying down, you should place it between the top of your legs. Hold the intention that the crystal energy works with your base chakra.
What I’d like you to do next
- Think about any issues or concerns that you may be experiencing. Do they relate to the Base Chakra?
- If they do, I’d like you to choose a crystal to work with on your Base Chakra as part of your weekly Self-Healing treatment.
- After using it as part of your weekly treatment, I’d like you to cleanse it and carry it around with you for the rest of the week / meditate with it until it is time for your next weekly treatment.
- Following your weekly treatment, you may (or may not) wish to choose a different Base Chakra crystal for the week ahead. Choose and use one crystal per week i.e. give your chosen crystal a week to work its magic with you.
It’s worth noting that even if you do not have any specific issues relating to the Base Chakra, you will benefit from choosing a Base Chakra crystal so you can use it during the weekly Self-Healing treatment.
Crystal healing is a complementary therapy and is not a substitute for appropriate medical care. Always seek medical advice when and where appropriate.